Sunday, October 14, 2012

One Month of Less: Day 14: Taco Seasoning Recipe


How convenient that taco seasoning comes pre-mixed in a packet... But have you read the ingredient list?

The Tastespotting blog was talking about taco seasoning and how the ingredient list includes several non-food ingredients also found in pet food and pesticides. Their easy-to-follow recipe (sans pesicides) includes the following spices:



Taco Seasoning:

4 parts chili powder
2 parts ground cumin
1 part paprika
1 part crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper
1 part dried oregano
1 part onion powder
1 part garlic powder
1 part salt
½ part black pepper
Directions: Throw spices and herbs in a bowl and combine.

Not only do I know what's going in my tacos, but I tend to always have these spices on hand anyway (unlike the pre-mixed envelopes).

For the month of October I'm doing one thing a day that is a step towards a simpler way of living -- less cluttered, less wasteful, less distracted. My goal through this month of less is that by taking a new step every day, I will be able to live in a way that is more organized, more stewardly, more purposeful. Read more about it here, and let me know if you're joining in!

1 comment:

  1. I just usually shake in cumin and chili powder. Garlic and onion powder if they aren't already in the recipe. I think it would be nice to have it premixed like this, but I haven't done it lately.
    Good project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...